Monday, July 2, 2012

Sweater Class Success

Any of my knitting friends will tell you, I am deathly afraid not a sweater knitting kind of person!  I site reasons such as "way too much commitment" or "I am a sock knitter - much more effective use of my limited knitting time".  So imagine the surprise when I decided to join a knitalong at yarnability. (Peer pressure always get the best of me at the yarn store!! - Can we say Origami Sweater, Kim & Audrey??)

I decided on knitting the Jordan sweater seen below.  The pattern can be purchase on Ravelry.  This pattern calls for a linen yarn, which is perfect for summer.  Next came the task of choosing a color (see what I mean about commitment!!).  I went with a purple color whose name I cannot remember and I don't seem to have the tag. 

Jordan Sweater - pattern on Ravelry
Claudia Handpaints - Linen
I went to the first knitalong class and cast on.  I had to miss the next two weeks for my brother's wedding and another reason I can't remember now.  Hey I am a teacher and summer brain has really kicked in!!  So after my two week absence I had about 3 inches of the first lace section finished.

Here is where I realized something wasn't right with the cast on edge!!  There were strange loops along the bottom of the piece.  I stopped knitting and took a few deep breaths. 

Last Thursday, I headed to the knitalong class a little early and showed Susan the edge.  I told her she needed to talk me down off the ledge or give me a big push.  A minute and one big push later, I was ripping my work off the needles and starting over!!  This is about the time I remembered exactly why I am an a sweater class flunky.

I cast back on all 200+ stitches and started over.  As you can see below, no more weird loops on the bottom.  I knit along happily for two hours that night and for two more hours the next morring at ssk. I can now say I have almost four inches of this lace pattern finished and am getting ready to start the next section.


Fingers are crossed that I will be finishing this sweater!!


 I mentioned earlier that my brother got married a few weeks ago.  This picture is of the sunset from the night of the rehearsal dinner.  It was gorgeous, as was the wedding and the bride. 


Sunset at Stonebridge

Congrats Jamie & Krista!!





2 comments:

  1. Keep it up with the sweater! It's a beautiful pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persistence pays off!! Glad you have stepped out of your comfort zone. I am sure it will look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete