Friday, July 27, 2012

Congrats! It's a . . .

Sweater!!!

Completely Finished Jordan Sweater!
As seen above, I have finished my FIRST sweater.  Yes I have been knitting for close to 10 years.  Yes I have knit way more complicated things than this sweater.  So why this was my first ever knit sweater is beyond me!!

This was one of the easiest knits I have ever done.  The lace was interesting enough to keep me entertained.  It is knit in the round - which means absolutely NO sizing issues for fronts and backs!!  The seaming was minimal.  And best of all it fits me nicely!

I think the main reason for my success with this knit was joining the knitalong at yarnability.  The knitalong provided me with the structure I needed to complete this project.  Each week I could get support from Susan or other knitters.  My competitive spirit came out as other knitters moved ahead of me.  I learned from their mistakes design features.

The other key to my success - time!  I have a lot of free time on my hands.  One of the many perks of being a teacher! 

Susan is starting another knitalong in August for the Swirl sweaters.  The knit, Swirl trunk show has begun at yarnability.  The jackets are GORGEOUS! (Looking at you Rachel - I think you would love them.)

Click on the yarnability link to get all the details for this trunk show and knitalong

However the knitalong is beginning in August!!  I will be starting back to school in August!!  This two factors make for a disaster waiting to happen.  My knitting time will take a major hit.  I will be spending my "spare" time writing lesson plans or grading papers. So unfortunately I will not be joining in on this knitalong.

So for my knitting I will be working on my Summer Flies shawl (very appropriate since I have only 20 days of vacation left!!) and on my Origami Sweater.  Pics will be forthcoming as I make some progress.

For now I will leave you with:

Countdown to Tennessee Football Kickoff - 35 days!!  

4 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful top! It looks fantastic on you! I am so happy for you. I know the school year is quickly approaching and I applaud you for being realistic about what you can accomplish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the sweater, but why is your head cut out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got the email for the jacket. I do love them. I'll be in Shepherdstown Sunday. Maybe I'll stop & check it out. Of course I'm supposed to be knitting a cabled cowl neck boyfriend sweater...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have got to adopt my thinking regarding my knitting. I only knit for me. If others want handknit items, I am more than happy to teach them to knit!!! :-P

      Delete