Saturday, July 21, 2012

Not So Relaxing Vacation

I am back after two weeks of vacation.  I have been knitting - just not home long enough to blog.  I spent the week Bman was at Scout Camp catching up with many friends!  I had breakfast, lunch and dinner "dates" with some amazing ladies!  Started my week with sushi at Kobe and ended with breakfast at Bettys in Shepherdstown. 

I have stopped using my paper calendar and started using my Google Calendar.  Yes I am jumping into the 21st century!!  So when I planned all these fun outings, I did remember to add them to my calendar (with reminders).  However I never stopped to look at the week as a whole.  By Friday afternoon, I realized that I may have overbooked myself.  Thank goodness for vacation starting on Saturday - or so I thought!

We decided to travel to Williamsburg for a week of relaxing at Greensprings Resort.  Thinking that entertaining a 14 year old all week might be a tad difficult - Bman was allowed to bring a friend. 

Looking back, I realize that this might not have been my brightest idea.  Bman is an only child. At least at my house, he is.  He had spent a week at Scout camp with 20 other boys.  He then had to spend a week with another friend.  Can we say people overload??

By Wednesday the honeymoon period had ended.  We had the One Up contest going.  There was so much testosterone being flung about that ducking and covering really wasn't an option.  Thank goodness for knitting and for teenagers sleeping until noon everyday!!  I got about 4 hours every morning to sit quietly and knit! 

On Tuesday, I finished the body of Jordan.  I must say this really was a quick & easy knit.  And the linen yarn has been great to work with - not as scratchy as I thought it would be.  I can't wait to see how this yarn will soften as I wash it.
Jordan Sweater body
Immediately after I finished the body.  I cast on both sleeves.  This is the first time I have knit a pair of items at the same time.  I usually knit my socks one at a time.  I definitely like the idea of both sleeves being finished at the same time.  I can also see this will help make sure both sleeves are the same length - always a good thing!!

One of the sleeves
On Thursday, I woke up and visited Knitting Sisters. This was my second visit to this great shop in Williamsburg.  I came away with some great Lorna's Laces sock yarn and Prism Lace Wool.

Prism Lace Wool - Sedona colorway & Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock - Maple Grove colorway
When I entered the shop, there was a group of knitters having a social knitting time.  After making my purchases, I wasn't ready to head back to the boys.  I joined in with the ladies. They welcomed me and oohhed and aahhed appropriately at my sweater.  So very glad knitters are a friendly group!  I felt like I was among my people again!

Now I am back home with no more travel plans for the summer.  I hope to finish my Jordan sweater before school starts.  Because once August gets here, I have a feeling my knitting time will be taking a hit as I will .be busy planning for my first year as a 5th grade teacher.  Thank goodness for the Origami Sweater!  Mindless 1x1 ribbing for miles!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you made it home in one piece. The sweater looks beautiful :)
    -SK

    ReplyDelete